Simple Tips For Preventing Heartburn
By Dean Caporella
Heartburn affects millions of people worldwide. An interesting debate recently suggested that in many cases, the incidence heartburn could have been lessened if people only took some commonsense precautions.
Okay, preventative heartburn measures may not apply so much to chronic sufferers who will in all probability be under medical supervision. But for those people who suffer heartburn once or twice a week, there are areas of your life you can assess. Here's a simple checklist:
1. Over eating is a no go zone if heartburn plays are part in your life on a weekly basis. Cut down to smaller meals and be careful not to eat close to bedtime. The recommended time frame is usually three hours.
2. Do a self analysis on yourself. Are you overweight? Can you afford to shed a few extra pounds? This will certainly play a part in ridding heartburn as a factor in your life.
3. Not many people realise tight-fitting clothing can be associated with heartburn attack. Think about it, if you love to fit into a pair of jeans two sizes below what you would normally wear and heartburn is a common factor, then consider going up a size or two. Putting pressure on the stomach is the last thing you want to be doing.
4. Food and drink intake is often associated with heartburn. Identifying what types of food or drink seem to correlate with an attack is important. The "old diehards" such spicy foods and alcohol and caffeine are always prime suspects while smoking is another no go zone to be eliminated.
5. Many people report a correlation with their sleeping style and heartburn. Whether it be the way they rest their heads on their pillows, which may be too high or too low or the way they actually lay in bed; it may be on their backs, side or even stomachs. If you notice that attacks seem to occur during these instances try elevating your pillow or laying differently to what you normally do.
Can You Make The Necessary Adjustments?
Simple heartburn prevention methods can prove beneficial for a lot of people but one of the biggest "bug bears" for preventative specialists is to get people to take action. Going through an episode is no fun; those of us who have experienced that horrible, nauseating and painful burning sensation can attaest to this. Your thoughts essentially revolve around getting over it as soon as you can and that when you do, you'll swear of spicy foods forever or you'll never touch coffee again or you've had your last drop of alcohol. But do you?
Getting people to make lifestyle changes must be one of the most difficult assignments in the world, especially for the medical profession. Where heartburn prevention is concerned, major changes in lifestyle are not required but more so, minor adjustments. If you aren't a chronic sufferer, you could virtually "kiss heartburn goodbye" in your life.
About the Author
Dean Caporella is a professional broadcaster. Try these simple tips on preventing heartburn. Improve your quality of life with the latest heartburn and reflux news and reviews at: http://www.heartburnandyou.com
Article Source: http://www.simplysearch4it.com/article/45856.html
|If you wish to add the above article to your website or newsletters then please include the "Article Source: http://www.simplysearch4it.com/article/45856.html" as shown above and make it hyperlinked.|
| Some other articles by Dean Caporella|
|How To Prevent And Control Gum Disease|
Gum disease has a two-fold effect on your life. Firstly, unchecked, it can cause plenty of pain and discomfort and eventual tooth loss and secondly, it can hurt your hip pocket and cost you thousands of dollars ...
Heartburn/Reflux Prevention Tips For Mild Sufferers
Why do some people, no matter what they eat, never suffer the pain and discomfort of heartburn and reflux? I marvel and wonder at friends of mine who eat spicy food like ...
How To Select An International Phone Card And Not Get Burnt!
International phone cards have made life easier for travellers who like to stay in touch with family and friends while overseas. Before the phone card appeared on the scene, travellers had to endure high calling costs in ...
Tips On Buying Bamboo Flooring
Does bamboo flooring have a future or is it just a passing fad which will capture the imagination of consumers for a short period and then ...
Getting To Know Chainsaw Manufacturing's Lesser Lights
While Husqvarna and Stihl have long been regarded the giants of the chainsaws world, lesser known brands such as Jonsered, Echo, Poulan and McCullogh have gradually been chipping away at their dominance. Better technology ...
How To Get The Basic Golf Swing Right!
I can remember the first time I ventured out onto a golf course and tried to hit the cover off the ball on the first ...