Fun and Easy Indoor Calorie Burners 4 Kids
By Marjorie Nolan, MS, RD, CPT
Often for one reason or another your family may be stuck indoors. Physical activity is does not need to be compromised. You don't have to have a home gym for your child to stay active during rainy, cold and snowy months? There are plenty of places to take your child when cabin fever sets in and fun activities that you can do in your own home. Always try to make activity a fun family time. After all playing with your kids is a great for you to keep in shape too!
Try these indoor options.
Check out your local YMCA, gym or fitness center for calorie-burning fun activities that they offer kids like gymnastics, indoor basketball, wrestling, kick boxing, martial arts, wall-climbing, track, badminton, volleyball, ping pong, swimming, racquetball and tennis. You could even get your own workout while waiting.
A great way to burn calories in a variety of classes including ballet, tap, modern, jazz, hip-hop, line dancing, ballroom dancing, yoga, free movement classes and other music/dance combination classes.
Ice-skating, roller-skating, inline-skating can fill hours of fun without even realizing you've workout.
They exist in most cities, and provide interesting, educational and fun activities that keep your kid on the move! Indoor nature centers or aquariums offer similar movement opportunities.
Restaurants with Games:
They're all over. Choose restaurants that offer the greatest energy burners, including laser tag and other fast-paced activities. Most have salad bars, so plan on light meals. Another great option is to create an 'Activity/Play Room' in your house, where you set up areas for your child to try different activities.
- A plastic tub filled with costumes, dress-up clothes, and accessories like crowns, wands, toy shields, armor, masks, vests, belts, shoes, hats, grass skirts, scarves, play jewelry, wigs...
- Boom box with dance music tapes or CDs to have family dance parties
- Build a tent and have a living room camping trip.
- Hop scotch mat, action games like Twister, Charades, Simon Says, Follow the leader
- Paddle balls, indoor ball toss games, bean bags, juggling balls, hacky sack, indoor basketball hoop and soft foam balls
- Jump ropes, skip-it, small kid-safe hand weights, exercise stretch bands.
- Try household cleaning with items such as brooms, mops, vacuum cleaners, feather dusters. You would be surprised how many kids love to clean!
- Do the "TV commercial boogie" whenever the ads come on. You'll be amazed at how much moving you'll do to the soundtracks of those endless commercials! And be sure to engage in collective booing when junk-food ads fill the screen.
About the Author
Marjorie E. Nolan is a Registered Dietitian and Certified Personal Trainer. Marjorie offers expertise advice and counseling on child and adolescent weight loss and healthy lifestyle coaching for the entire family. For free tips to learn how you and your family can lose weight and keep it off visit Marjorie at http://www.NoDiet4Kids.com or email her at Marjorie@NoDiet4Kids.com
Article Source: http://www.simplysearch4it.com/article/32868.html
|If you wish to add the above article to your website or newsletters then please include the "Article Source: http://www.simplysearch4it.com/article/32868.html" as shown above and make it hyperlinked.|
| Some other articles by Marjorie Nolan, MS, RD, CPT|
|Secret Tips to Encourage Healthy Eating Habits in Your Family|
Most of us have a pretty good idea of what healthy eating is: lots of fruits and vegetables and not too much fat and sugar. But when it comes to ...
Secret Parenting Tips on How to Teach Your Kid to be Healthy
As parents, I think we can agree that when it comes to encouraging kids to make healthy choices, it's not an easy task. So what's a parent to do?
Restaurant Survival 4 Kids
Weight loss can still be achieved even when dining out and busy schedules. With a little planning ahead you and your child can make healthy choices and lose weight.
Follow these tips when dining out to ...
Keeping kids active: Ideas for parents
Children are more sedentary than ever, watching television and playing video games instead of biking to the playground or playing kickball in the backyard with their pals is a major cause. And even schools have ...
Is it OK to put my Kid on a Diet?
Many concerned parents often ask me "Is it OK to put my kid on a diet?" My answer is always a quick and firm "NO". The word diet is defined as 'A food ...
10 Secrets to a Fit Family
It's no secret that many parents and their children are overweight. These 10 simple 'secrets' can help you change your family's lifestyle so that you can all become fit and ...